Today we continued our review for our benchmarks tomorrow (1st and 4th periods) and Wednesday (6th & 7th periods). We also had a chance to work on missing Pluto projects and formation essays.
As you study, be sure to check out the second semester syllabus.
Also, you can use these slideshows to help you study. Do not forget to study air masses and fronts. These were covered on our epic front project. You can go over the notes here.
Make Up Assignments:
- Warm Up – Page 156: 1. What are the four ingredients that are needed to form hurricanes? 2. When do most tornadoes form?
- Passed back and discussed fronts quiz. Remember, if you are not happy with your grade, you will have an opportunity to retake the quiz after tomorrow’s interim.
- Finished storms and climate notes.
- Reviewed for interim. As discussed in class, you should use your syllabus to help you study for the interim. Additionally, I found these resources from another school: study guide, study resources
Homework: Study for tomorrow’s science interim. I will also be checking last night’s homework tomorrow (reflection on page 155 for the notes on page 154)
- Go to the EdHeads site for weather: http://www.edheads.org/activities/weather/index.shtml
- Work through all three levels for Report the Weather. Make sure you understand how to read a weather map.
- Work through all three levels for Predict the Weather. Make sure you understand how to predict weather using a weather map.
- If you finish and have time left, go to this National Geographic site. Read the information about tornadoes and create your own tornado. Then, read the information about hurricanes and create your own hurricane. DO NOT work through volcanoes or earthquakes.
- Finally, go to the Weather Channel Severe Weather Challenge Game, and see how well you can alert people about severe weather.
Homework: Quiz tomorrow on fronts. Study for Friday’s interim exam. It is over hydrology and meteorology.
- Warm Up – Page 145: There are four different air masses that affect the United States. What are they? (Hint: polar, tropical, maritime, and continental are used in the answer)
- Watched our EPIC fronts videos. Look for some being posted soon!
- Passed out fronts notes.
Homework: Complete reflections for each type of front; study for interim exam which is Friday
Today we finished working in class on our epic fronts projects. A couple of things regarding technical issues:
- If you finished your video but were not able to export the movie file, we can still watch it. Don’t worry about fixing that this weekend.
- If you did not finish, you can work on it at home OR you can come in early Monday morning.
- If you want to work on it at home and use a different program, that’s fine. Just make sure you bring me a completed video file on Monday.
Thanks for making this project epic! Get ready for a great show on Monday!
Homework: Study for next Friday’s interim exam
PS – I’ve figured out a fix for saving our movie files. However, we don’t have time to implement it. We will just watch your videos from Windows Movie Maker.
This is for teams who have finished their epic fronts projects or anyone who wants to play with storms at home.
In class, get with a partner.
- Go to this site: http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/natural-disasters/forces-of-nature/ and read about the different types of storms.
- Work with your partner to create awesome storms.
- Go to this site: http://www.theweatherchannelkids.com/flash/games/severe-weather-challenge/ Work through the severe weather game.
Due to spring pictures today and couple of technical glitches yesterday, we are postponing our deadline to Monday. All videos, handouts, and test questions must be ready to be viewed in class on MONDAY.
I can’t wait to see all of these awesome videos!! You are doing an amazing job. Keep up the great work!
Reminder: Interim exams are next week. Your science exam is on Friday, March 9. Make sure you are studying!
- Warm Up – Page 144: Are you ready to film? Why or why not? What is your plan to make your project epic?
- Announcements: Interim exams are next week on Thursday and Friday.
- Work on projects and filming
Homework: If you plan to retake the weather factors test, the reteach is on Wednesday and the retake is on Thursday. If you cannot make either of these days, please let me know so we can make alternate arrangements.
- Warm Up – Page 142: What you are most excited about for the epic fronts project?
- Assigned fronts.
- Began working with our teams on our project!