About Mrs. Wilson
What your big dreams? For me, I have always wanted to go to space. I haven’t had a chance yet, but sometimes it feels like we might be getting a little bit closer. I love especially love space, and you’ll figure that out pretty quickly. I have had a chance to see three launches in person: STS-132 of Atlants, STS-135 of Atlantis, and the Mars Science Laboratory/Curiosity launch. If you ever have a chance to see a launch, go!
I love to explore and learn new things. I hope you do to! This summer, I had a chance to do one of the coolest things ever. It has to be about one step away from actually going to space: I floated weightless in microgravity! It was a part of NASA’s Teaching From Space program. You’ll be hearing a lot about this experience. One thing that is important to remember: don’t give up on chances to explore. It’s okay to keep trying for amazing things you really want to do. Trust me, I know from experience!
I think of myself as a creative person. Do you? Being creative isn’t just about making stuff; it’s also about the way you think through a problem to find solutions. I had a chance to meet Bill Nye the Science Guy a couple of years ago. I’d say he’s a pretty creative person. Would you? Besides thinking of new ways to do things, I also do like to draw, paint, and do other activities people have traditionally called “creative”. This year, we will be creating a lot of new memories, too!
One of my favorite quotes is “Dare Mighty Things!” We can’t expect great things to happen to us if we do not attempt to do things that are hard. John F. Kennedy said that about the moon. “We choose to go to the moon… not because it is easy, but because it is hard.” What will you choose to do this year because it is hard? Last summer, I climbed up a 32-foot pole, stood on the top of it, and jumped off! It was challenging, and a little scary. As you reached the top, the pole swayed, and the platform at the top spun around when you grabbed it. But I did it! Don’t give up on things because they hard because you’ll be glad you dared!
Some Random Facts about Mrs. Wilson
- I have three pets: a golden retriever named Devon, a black and white cat named Halley, and a grey tabby and white cat named Newton.
- My husband is from England. He has a super cool accent, and he was named after Neil Armstrong.
- I like to run (but I’m not fast).
- I grew up in Florida.
- I have taught at Lanier Middle School since 2006.
- I’ve met a lot of astronauts. Believe it or not, they are ordinary people who just have a super cool job!
- Teaching is the best job in the world. The only thing that could possibly make it better is teaching from space! (maybe one day…)
- Blue is my favorite color.
- Eight is my favorite number.
- I wish I was better at taking selfies.
- I love the internet.